MBBS (Hons), FRACS, ANZGOSA
Bariatric, Upper GI and General Surgeon
Dr Candice Silverman – Queensland’s first robotic bariatric surgeon
Dr Candice Silverman is the first - and currently only - female robotics surgeon in Queensland. Dedicating her recent career to delivering excellence in the field of bariatric surgery, Dr Silverman is also a committed specialist in general and laparoscopic surgery.
Dr Silverman has intently focussed her training in the areas of upper-gastrointestinal surgery, hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery, hernia surgery and obesity surgery. She currently applies her expertise to patients requiring minimally invasive laparoscopic (keyhole) surgical procedures and has achieved outstanding outcomes for more than 2,000 patients using this technique.
Dr Silverman has developed a unique program for Gold Coast Surgical Weight Loss. ‘Peak' offers a holistic approach to weight loss combining the disciplines of surgery, psychology and nutrition to give patients all the practical, physiological, and emotional tools they need to overcome obesity and live a long and healthy life.
- Bariatric weight loss surgery.
- Multidisciplinary approach to weight loss.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery with Honours – MBBS (Hons) - University of New South Wales (1998).
- Certificate in Sports Medicine - University of New South Wales (2003).
- Hepato-pancreato-biliary fellowship - Fremantle Hospital (2008).
- Bariatric surgery fellowship - John Flynn Private Hospital (2009).
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS).
- Obesity Surgery Society Australia & New Zealand (OSSANZ).
- Australia & New Zealand Hepatic, Pancreatic and Biliary Association (ANZHPBA).
- Australia & New Zealand Gastric Oesophageal Surgery Association (ANZGOSA).
- General Surgeons Australia (GSA).
- Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA).
- Australasian Trauma Society (ATS).
- Australian Medical Association (AMA).
Dr Silverman’s fellowship at the John Flynn Private Hospital in Queensland sparked her passion to make a positive difference in the lives of those living with obesity and in 2012, Candice established Gold Coast Surgical Weight Loss. As director, she is passionate about enhancing and extending the lives of those experiencing obesity and is an accomplished expert in cutting-edge weight-loss procedures, surgeries and technologies.
Additional professional activities and contributions
Dr Silverman is as committed to her own education and training as she is the advancement of others.
She trains general surgical registrars at the Tweed & Murwillumbah Hospitals. In addition, she is a senior lecturer at Griffith University and an assistant professor at Bond University. Candice is a Course Instructor for the Early Management of Severe Trauma (EMST) Program.
Dr Silverman takes pride in offering compassionate and individualised care to her patients at all times, both in a public and private hospital setting. She works from the Tweed Heads Hospital (NSW), Murwillumbah Hospital (NSW) and the John Flynn Private Hospital, located in Tugun (QLD).
- The National Institutes of Health Roadmap – Media Review.
ANZ Journal of Surgery 2008.
- Outcomes of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy following failed laparoscopic gastric banding (LAGB) procedures.
Presented RACS ASC 2009, OSSANZ 2009, ASMBS 2010.
- Introducing the Orbera intra-gastric Balloon into a weight loss practice.
Winner of Best Poster at OSSANZ Hobart 2010.
- Laparoscopic resection of a massive distal oesophageal diverticulum.
Australian Gastro Week 2013.
- A case report of right posterior sectoral duct injury during laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Annual Scientific Congress Singapore 2014, poster presentation.
- Cholecystectomy in Nanogenerians.
Annual Scientific Congress Singapore 2014, verbal presentation.
- Initial experience with the Orbera intra-gastric balloon.
Annual Scientific Congress Malaysia 2012, poster presentation.
- Introducing the Da Vinci Robot to a Bariatric Surgical Practice Utilizing the Sleeve Gastrectomy – The First 10 Cases.
IFSO World Congress Vienna 2015, poster presentation.
- Utility of Ultrasound in the Management of Groin Hernias.
Provincial Surgeons Association Meeting Lismore 2015 and the General Surgeons Association Meeting Cairns 2015 (presented by Havish Srinath).
- Early Australian experience in robotic sleeve gastrectomy: a single site series.
ANZ Journal of Surgery, February 2016.