Gastric Bypass Gold Coast
Gastric bypass is an effective weight loss procedure which limits the amount of food you eat as well as reduces calorie absorption. You can expect to lose 70% of excess weight within 12 to 18 months after surgery.
Gastric bypass surgery explained
What is a Roux-En-Y gastric bypass?
Roux-En-Y gastric bypass surgery, often referred to as RYGB or simply as ‘gastric bypass’, is a weight loss procedure that involves creating a small pouch from the stomach and connecting it directly to the small intestine.
The size of the pouch is the size of a egg and can hold about 15 ml of volume. Compared to a ‘normal stomach, which can hold about 1500 ml, its size significantly limits the amount of food that can be consumed at one time.
As the digestive tract is rerouted, it means that food bypasses a large part of the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine. As a consequence, your body absorbs fewer calories and nutrients, contributing to weight loss. However, it can also lead to nutritional deficiencies if you don’t follow up on the guidelines and good practices that our dietitians will give you.
In general, most people can expect to lose about 70% of their excess weight within a year to 18 months after the surgery.
Restrictive and malabsorptive weight loss surgery
With gastric bypass surgery, your stomach is reduced in size, and you will feel full after eating less, reducing calorie intake. This reduction in stomach size is the restrictive component of the surgery.
However, there is also a malabsorptive component with gastric bypass surgery. The rerouting of your small intestines means that not only are you eating less, your body also absorbs fewer calories and nutrients from the food you consume.
This is why gastric bypass is both a restrictive and malabsorptive bariatric surgery procedure. It reduces the stomach’s size and alters the digestion process by changing the path of the digestive tract, reducing the absorption of calories and nutrients.
Hormonal changes contributing to weight loss
Gastric bypass surgery also impacts the production of hunger hormones. After the procedure these hormones typically decrease. This can significantly reduce feelings of hunger.
Gastric bypass benefits
Why is this procedure so effective?
Gastric bypass surgery is effective for a number of reasons:
- Reduced stomach size: The smaller stomach pouch limits the amount of food that can be consumed at one time, reducing overall calorie intake
- Altered digestive tract: As the digestive tract is rerouted, the body absorbs fewer calories and nutrients from the food consumed
- Hormonal changes: The procedure alters the production of certain hormones, leading to decreased appetite
- Lifestyle changes: After surgery you work with our Peak dietitians to adopt healthier eating and physical activity habits
- Improvement in metabolic conditions: The procedure can lead to improvement or remission of metabolic conditions related to obesity.
Should I have gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgery?
Gastric bypass has a number of advantages over other bariatric weight loss approaches. These are:
- The procedure may be able to be reversed at a later date if required.
- Much lower incidence of reflux than other approaches.
- The resulting metabolic change helps in the treatment for resistant diabetes.
- Most successful weight loss procedure in terms of long-term results (in fact is considered the ‘benchmark’ weight loss procedure).
- Considered the safest revision procedure where laparoscopic gastric banding has not worked.
Gastric sleeve surgery might be a better option for those:
- Who might prefer a less complex surgery with no rerouting of the digestive tract
- Who are concerned about nutritional deficiencies post-surgery, as absorption is not affected
- Who are at very high risk for surgical complications. It is generally considered an easier procedure to perform than gastric bypass.
Gastric bypass surgeon Gold Coast
Laparoscopic gastric bypass explained
Laparoscopic bypass surgery is a minimally invasive weight loss procedure performed under general anaesthesia. During this procedure, we make a few small incisions in the abdomen. A laparoscope (a thin tube with a camera at the end) is inserted in one of these incisions. This allows us to get a clear vision on a screen in the operating theatre.
Once the stomach is reduced in size, we close the small incisions with stitches or staples. The entire procedure takes between two and three hours.
Gastric bypass surgeon Gold Coast
Support throughout your journey
There are many factors contributing to weight gain. We work with dietitians and psychologists to address behavioural, emotional and psychological challengers. We prepare you for the journey and follow up afterwards to maximise optimal outcomes.
You will see a Peak dietitian and psychologist before and after surgery.
- Your Peak dietitian will help you prepare for the drastic changes.
- They will guide you on what foods to consume for optimal nutrition and how to avoid complications, both before and after surgery. With gastric bypass surgery you will need to take nutritional supplements every day, for the rest of your life.
- After surgery, it will be impossible to consume large meals. Your Peak dietitian will advise you to eat 4-6 smaller meals every day. When you follow these guidelines you can expect to lose around 60% of your excess weight within a year.
- Your Peak psychologist will provide emotional support and help you mentally prepare for the changes that are about to happen.
- Both the dietitian and psychologist play a role in facilitating necessary behavioural changes, as weight loss surgery is not a ‘quick fix’. Lifestyle changes are required and this may be challenging.
Consultation with surgeon
We listen to your individual needs
Consultation with our Peak Dietitian and Psychologist
You are not doing this on your own. The Core team is here to support and assist
Follow up appointment with surgeon
During this consultation the surgeon will recommend which treatment option is best suited for you
Gastric bypass Gold Coast, Lismore and Byron Bay
Core Specialist Group for gastric bypass surgery
At Core Specialist Group, your health and comfort are our highest priority. If you are considering gastric bypass surgery and are looking for compassionate and exceptional patient care, please get in touch with our friendly team. With consulting rooms in Tugun, Lismore (NSW) and Byron Bay (NSW) we will make you feel at ease in the lead up to your consultation and possible weight loss surgery.